Begin by kneeling on the floor with the knees a few inches apart and the feet resting beside the hips. While exhaling, lower the back torso toward the floor, leaning first on the hands then the forearms and elbows. Then recline, lowering fully to the floor with the arms stretched out beside the feet and hips, o you can also place the arms over the head on the floor grabbing the opposite elbow with the hands. Hold the position and then release.
- It opens the lower back, stretches the hamstrings, and improves the flexibility of the hip, knees, and ankle joints.
- It relieves menstrual cramps, and improves digestion.
- It is said to stimulate the thyroid and parathyroid glands, the guards of the metabolism.
- It lowers high blood pressure, and because of this it is not recommendable to do it if you have a heart disease.
- It has been used therapeutically for a number of ailments including arthritis, asthma, diarrhea, digestive problems, flat feet, head colds, headaches, high blood pressure, infertility, insomnia, intestinal gas and acidity, respiratory ailments, sciatica and varicose veins.