The main principles of the Jivamukti style
Jivamukti Yoga features five disciplines which form the foundation of the practice and are incorporated into every class.
The incorporation of these principles into an asana practice ensures that yoga is being practiced for its original purpose, as a means to enlightenment and not merely as a physical exercise.
- Scripture: Study of the ancient yogic teachings, including Sanskrit chanting.
- Bhakti: Each practitioner regards God as present in every person or sentient being.
- Ahimsa: Practice of a non-violent, compassionate lifestyle which emphasizes ethical vegetarianism and animal rights. In doing this, one begins to develop compassion and humility. Ethical vegetarianism is emphasized as a means of raising awareness of the environmental impact of a meat-based diet, as well as a means of developing compassion, eliminating suffering, and incurring good karma.
- Nada Yoga: The development of a sound body and mind through deep listening. Appreciate the sacred sounds of yoga.
- Meditation: Connecting with the eternal unchanging reality within.
Jivamukti Yoga Table of contents